Navigate Down Icon
Kern County Veterans Service Department

Kern County Veterans Service Department

Veterans California Driver License or ID Card

Starting November 12, 2015, a new law allows the California DMV, upon request, to mark a Driver License/ID Card (DL/ID) with the word "Veteran" to indicate a person served in the United States (US) Armed Forces and received an other than dishonorable discharge.

Every Veteran can get their Veteran Driver License or ID. It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!

  1. Get Your Records. Find your original or certified discharge document (for example, a Form DD-214). If you need assistance obtaining your military records, then contact any County Veterans Service Office (CVSO).
  2. Visit Any CVSO. Take your Form DD-214 and government identification to any CVSO to obtain your Veteran Status Verification Form.
  3. Visit Any DMV Field Office. Go on-line or call any DMV for an appointment. Then bring your Veteran Status Verification Form to DMV. Complete your application, pay any application fees in addition to the $5.00 fee for your Veteran designation. You must complete all applicable application and testing requirements.

A Veteran designation on a DL/ID card proudly recognizes military service, and is intended to enable US Veterans to access certain privileges, benefits, or compensation associated with being a Veteran without having to carry and produce their Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Form DD-214). In addition, the Veteran designation may be helpful to both law enforcement and medical professionals when treating Veterans in emergency situations.

Stay Connected with Kern County:

E-Mail Updates

Site maintained by:

Website Usage Policy