Navigate Down Icon
Kern County Veterans Service Department

Kern County Veterans Service Department

Veterans ID Cards

The Kern County Veterans Service Department is now issuing ID cards to veterans. The cards may be used as proof of honorable service in the United States military. Once a veteran has been issued an ID card, he or she no longer has to carry a copy of military discharge papers to receive benefits such as veterans discounts at local businesses.

In order to receive an ID card, the veteran must come to our Bakersfield office during the following times:

Monday through Friday - 8:00-11:30 AM and 1:00-4:30 PM.

During the visit the veteran will do all of the following:

  • Provide a copy of his or her discharge papers (DD-214) indicating Active Duty (not for Training), and indicating that the discharge was under Honorable Conditions. **
  • Present a photo ID
  • Fill out a short application form (PDF)
  • Provide evidence of name change (if applicable).

Because we have numerous requests for cards as we start issuing them, we anticipate longer than usual wait times. Additionally, you may want to fill out and print the application form before coming in. Application form (PDF)

** Note: If the veteran doesn't have a copy of his or her discharge papers, come to our office and we can order a copy if we don't already have one on file.

Stay Connected with Kern County:

E-Mail Updates

Site maintained by:

Website Usage Policy